PETROSONIC ENERGY (PSON)

By Anonymous Questions, April 10, 2013

Have you looked into:
PETROSONIC ENERGY (PSON) with a GameChanger ”sonic reactor that converts previously unusable
heavy oil into oil that can flow freely through pipelines”.
Tobin Smith in an 8X10in 20-page folder

58 Comments on " PETROSONIC ENERGY (PSON)"

Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe
Admin
April 10, 2013 12:11 pm
Thanks for the question — I’ve gotten dozens of queries about Petrosonic Energy and Tobin Smith, so let me share my thoughts quickly: I’ve gotten those glossy promotions in the mail, too (you can see their “initiating coverage” note here from September, FYI). Tobin Smith still has that big, glossy TV smile, and seems quite happy in his relatively new role as a stock promoter — he used to run “real” newsletters that depended on subscribers and put out research that represented his investment opinion, and he has a recognizable name (and perhaps a reputation that he can sell) because… Read more »
Des Harms
Des Harms
April 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Excellent analysis, thank you.

Kim HURT
Kim HURT
April 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Travis,
The more I read your analises and reasoning, the more I feel you are right and many of us naive fools.
Thank you. Please keep up the good work and the reality for us ignorami!
Kim Hurt

Peter Barnes
April 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Boy you know I got this promo piece that follows the big promo format
I usually throw them out
But there was Tobin Smith who I remembered was a pretty savvy guy maybe 10 years ago?
Your analysis was brilliant
Confirmed nagging doubts that I didn’t know I had because of the guys past had p
, well ….apparent legitimacy
Sad to see where he is
Thanks for your insight
Saved me a ton of time on researching PSON
Best
Peter W Barnes
Westport CT

gard
April 14, 2013 11:20 am

As soon as I see a picture of a Yacht, I delete, delete, delete. LOL that’s my laughable cue that it is a pie in the sky Pump and Dump.

George
George
May 7, 2013 8:55 pm

If this technology had the potential alleged in this promo, why would Sonora Energy Ltd. sell it to Petrosonic for so little?

kraeaz77
kraeaz77
May 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Just got out of PSON. Made a little money but after more research, glad I still have my socks on. READ READ READ!!!
Thanks for your research, really appreciate it.

Val W Stone
Val W Stone
April 10, 2013 1:02 pm

I really think you should not be wasting time on idiotic ideas like these !!

Gregory P
Gregory P
April 10, 2013 1:03 pm

notyhing Tobin Smith has ever promoted has ever made a profit for anyone except the short sellers and himself.

gummydave
gummydave
April 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Excellent advice as always Travis.
I’m glad you mentioned Motley Fool as I’ve subscribed to them for many years and believe they try to look after subscribers interests. Their advertising is a bit excessive and they certainly have their share of failures. But they give some useful advice and the discussion boards are also a useful resource.

Ventureshadow
Ventureshadow
April 10, 2013 1:28 pm

I too received this flyer in the mail. It says nothing investable about Petrosonic. As you say, Travis, their costly desperation means stay away. The one thing this flyer convinced me of is that Tobin Smith has no remaining credibility.

Rosenmeyer
Rosenmeyer
April 10, 2013 1:54 pm

he has been a shameless self-promoter for a few years now-very sad. at first some folks thought when he left changewave & started NBT he was operating like before-heard he has constantly promoted major losers like Vela or whatever it is called today -think it was china tel before that.

Dave
Dave
April 10, 2013 2:00 pm

I only wish I had read this sort of analysis before buying Eden Energy (EDNE) a few years back.

Don S
Don S
April 10, 2013 2:24 pm
Travis,, Thanks for your analysis of the pump and dump promotionals. I get these slick promotionals by email and glossy multi-page snail mail almost daily. On the ones that come in the mail, I always look at the bottom of the last page to see how much the writer was paid to write the promotional material, then toss it. The email promotions often start with a promise to give you the names of must-buy stocks. They almost never deliver. I scroll to the end and then back scroll because most are selling a subscription to a newsletter or a variety… Read more »
Tom Patton
April 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Why won’t you do a piece on UNXL?

A lot of people are going to get fleeced on that one.

Warmest regards,

Louis Basenese

philip germain
philip germain
April 10, 2013 2:46 pm

So, should we read this as meaning you are less than enthusiastic?

thomas doepke
April 10, 2013 2:46 pm

I don’t buy anything tobin is pitching, but would like to know about GNIN if possible.

Camaro Guy
Camaro Guy
April 13, 2013 4:04 pm

I am long on GNIN. Shorts are having a great time with it. CEO has suspect history, but hey who doesn’t have a blot on the resume. My research is based on blogs and life experience in business. IMHO It has an opportunity to grow with its Bamboo products. Company is getting orders and shipping product (verifiable). New accounts are being approached and added. Cadena’s in So Cal, and BigSaver Foods have made re orders. Hope this helps.

Shoeless
Shoeless
April 10, 2013 3:00 pm
I’ve followed Tobin for years. In the eary days of his news lettter. I lost big time especially on two, NEOM, BIPH. Both had credible products and futures. Both got traded and manipuIated by someone. I keep them to remind me of my mistakes. Changewave still has a “investment portfolio” on the site for members. I collected a Changewave “watch list” starting back about 2003 thru 2006 making a portfolio of 35 stocks. As a group, they are just about even right now. If it was not for AAPL, a buy at 69 in 2006, it would be a big… Read more »
jrlowelljr
April 10, 2013 3:19 pm

A few years back I figured out Tobin’s tease of BIIB (before becoming an irregular), bought it, and sold half after it went up 100%. The second half is still going up. I subscribed to ChangeWave for a few months, but that was the only big gain from Tobin’s work. Sad to see what he’s doing now…

Myron Martin
April 10, 2013 3:30 pm
It is indeed sad to see men who were once creditable analysts (warts and all) succumb to the easy money of paid promotions. Travis has it exactly right, if its a paid promotion don’t bite. One organization in the legitimate Penny Stock business has a column every Friday that exposes the most highly promoted “Pump and Dumps” for the week. (Hyperion)! Another one I get infrequently is from John Myers who WAS a very good oil and gas analyst with a newsletter started in Calgary a long time ago has apparently also gone over to the dark side, the latest… Read more »
Ventureshadow
Ventureshadow
April 12, 2013 4:42 pm

Regarding John Myers it gets worse. I enjoyed big gains from his picks writing “Outstanding Investments” several years ago, and I was disappointed that he separated from that newsletter. (His replacements have been spectacularly awful). I found a newsletter he writes and sells subscriptions to. They sent me a sample issue of John Myers’ Secret Stocks. The leading pick he wrote about was doing just horribly. There was a good reason to keep these stocks secret. I was left wondering if Myers quit “Outstanding Investments” or was dismissed.

Myron Martin
April 16, 2013 10:11 am
I would have to respectfully disagree with Ventureshadow that John Myers replacements have been “spectacularly awful” that is a pretty broad brush to paint with. While no analyst gets every pick 100% right due to unknowable future events, no matter how good his assessment of a company at a given point in time. Negative comments on an analyst can often be triggered by the readers own prejudices and bad timing or even lack of “due diligence” for which the blind follower blames the analyst instead of his own failure in assessing the situation at the time of his investment decision,… Read more »
Fireball
Fireball
April 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi G.S.
I guess many of us fell for this stuff over the years. I have started going one step further. When I get one through an eletter or enewsletter I always blast the letter for running these. I blasted several over Tobin. I just point out that their credibility as anything is questionable if they aid a fraud, pump and dump scammer i.e. Tobin.
I rarely comment anymore but I always read your letter and sometimes the comments.

RICHARD Kinsler
April 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Tobin turns a shill out loud and doesn’t seem to care about his persona. Run like hell and don’t fall for it. It’s nothing but a plumb and dump after all.

RK

Gummyfish
Gummyfish
April 10, 2013 4:31 pm

@ Val Stone: When I started investing in the 70’s we did not have instant access to these types of articles. Hell I did not even have a computer and relied on S&P and newspaper articles. Eventually I got phone calls from boiler rooms. If a proposal sounded good I would buy a “reasonable” position after attempting to do some research. Times and methods have changed. The newsletter has replaced the telephone call. But the vigilance of people like Travis help to prevent unsophisticated investors, who will listen, from making some of the early foolishness I succumbed to.

whatch
whatch
April 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi Dwight,
Like me you most likely had a broker screaming in your ear back then with the next great thing. Man!, I lost a lot of money and respect for brokers back then. I was sure glad to see computers and the internet come about. You know. The thing our kids thought always existed. They are now in their 30s and think I was born in the stone ages.

Joni
Joni
April 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Was a naive, stockbrokerage assistant for the one of the big companies back in 1981. After working there a few weeks, I realized the ‘stockbrokers’ were nothing more than salesmen, selling the next best thing that was mandated from corporate in NYC. Got licensed myself and went on to greener pastures and although those large brokerage houses have gone by the wayside, not much has changed.

James Kottenstette
James Kottenstette
April 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi Travis,
As usual you are right on. Your research and commentary are a god-send. You have saved this old guy a bundle… not to mention the several good runs as well!
My best, JimK

Aaron Dunn
Aaron Dunn
April 10, 2013 4:39 pm
Pump and Dumps abound, and many new investors get caught up in the promise of some new idea or product. The newsletters that promote the pump an dumps can show you some great results of the money they make, and the huge returns they book because they are getting free shares, or shares at pre-promotion prices they then can sell off into the pump. Funny part is there are now newsletters and groups whose whole investment strategy is to search out and find these shell companies before the promotion even starts. Travis if you ever look into prepromotions.com they are… Read more »
canonfodder
canonfodder
April 10, 2013 7:32 pm
Pump and Dump ! Some time ago I fell for one when I did not know such existed. In my naivete and stupidity I lost big because I believed the wonderful promises and I saw the price rising sharply. While I wasn’t able to be online and watch, later that same day the price plummeted as the insiders dumped. WOW ! I paid dearly for that lesson. Someone should advertise this scam method and warn. Why doesn’t my brokerage have a full page warning to all who pay them for buying and selling? They certainly should.
TedGeisel
April 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Good analysis. If anybody wants to speculate on heavy to light tech, look at Ivanhoe Energy (IVAN), they have a real tech and real assets. Still might go BK, but they have a shot. Spec money only.

Tom Tinacci
Tom Tinacci
April 10, 2013 9:22 pm
After doing a bit of research on the processes of extracting heavy oil out of the ground, it is definitely not for the pennystock/microcap exploratory oil companies. There is a good deal of equipment, and resources need to bring it up. There are large tracts of land in our most northern states, Montana being one of them, that contain this heavy crude.If the big boys thought it was economicaly viable to drill for this thick, viscous tar like stuff , they would be there , but they know better,. So all these little scamming oil companies promote their huge finds,… Read more »
whatch
whatch
April 10, 2013 9:43 pm

This company reminds me of one that I’m being pumped to buy now (PUNL), A gaming retail company turned gold mining operation in Nevada. Funny how this so called monster that was supposed to explode today actually dropped about 23% today. When I sow the sheets on them I said no thanks.

Tom Tinacci
Tom Tinacci
April 10, 2013 10:28 pm

If you think its too good to be true Caveat Emptor

jamalsbury
jamalsbury
April 11, 2013 5:29 am
I’m fairly new at trading, having been given stock as a child and pretty much blindly collected dividends over the years (decades, lol). And yes, I’ve fallen for a few of these scams but never invest more than I can “afford” to lose. But I did some research on PSON and it seemed to have some upside and it managed to more than double in price in the 1+ month that I’ve owned it… until it dropped back down to $1 yesterday after you identified it as a scam. Please be careful–many of the people who hype penny stocks are… Read more »
FarmGirl
FarmGirl
April 11, 2013 5:55 am

#8 Don S – if the promotion does NOT have the stock name and symbol, it isn’t a pump and dump. Usually just an overstated tease to get you to subscribe.

Very rarely, a legitimate newsletter will give you the name and symbol in their solicitation, in hopes you will subscribe for the follow-ups or for other ideas they cover. New World Investor has done this from time to time.

It is sad to see Toby stoop to these levels. NBT is his company. There’s no way to rebuild your reputation after doing this kind of thing.

ray somerville
April 11, 2013 8:38 am

Keep it up Travis, reliable, honest info is a rarity on the internet these days. I am a devoted irregular “Gumshoeist”. I’ts the money I save by not making foolish mistakes, where the real value of your website lies. thanks again, Ray

Tom Patton
April 11, 2013 9:04 am

Dear Travis,

When, oh when, will you expose UNXL? Unless they are paying you hush money I just do not understand how you can resist.
ANY COMPANY THAT GOES FROM $5 IN JULY 2012 TO OVER $30 ON LOUIS B. WORD IS RIPE ROTTEN FRUIT FOR THE PICKING.!!!!!!!
Sincerely but losing patience & faith in you,

Tom Patton

Raven
April 11, 2013 10:19 am

Hi T: finally got to reading the above and all the comments have some value, both negative and positive. I always try to keep an open mind. It did take me quite some time to scroll down on the dozens of stock promotion emails I get and yes, those disclaimers are pretty interesting. Often very small print or a “faded” color to make it difficult to read. Oh well I am a slow learner.
Thanks for your views and “detective work”, always interesting to read. I am a devout irregular.

Wayne Hatcher
Wayne Hatcher
April 11, 2013 10:27 am

Come on Travis. Tom is and has been nearly begging you. If there’s something to expose about UNXL, Throw the guy (and maybe the rest of us) a bone. Will ya? Come on, put your powers of deductive reasoning to work and save us from another possible pitfall. If for no other reason, do it for Tom’s sake and restore his faith. Not razzing you Tom. I’ve heard others on other sites complain about UNXL also. But come on. You can’t really think Travis is on the take.

Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe
Admin
April 11, 2013 11:40 am
Sorry, I can’t throw time at everything — UNXL has obviously gone up ridiculously since it was teased by Basenese in 2011 and I wrote about it then, but I don’t think I’ve ever taken a close look since. Have they gotten any deals with manufacturers that resulted in actual orders? I see lots of preferred pricing and access comments, but haven’t noticed any backlog or order numbers that would make it all seem more “real”, but that’s just in five minutes of looking. The stock has run up like a biotech stock with a FDA trial underway, and —… Read more »
who noze
April 11, 2013 12:29 pm

ANYTIME I SEE TOBIN SMITH NAME ITS TIME TO RUN THE OTHER WAY my opinion is he was dumped because he spent his timeon bulls and bears hurray for brian perry

aterosin
aterosin
April 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Whew! Well at least Tom can sleep tonight.

Tom Patton
April 12, 2013 8:55 am
Still wish you would do one of your deductive pieces on it and tear it it a part if warranted. Three quarters (or more)of the senior management was involved in similar scams in the 2000 bubble. And one of the biggest phonies on Wall Street is their biggest cheerleader. That and the fact they are spending nearly 80% on SALARIES NOT INVESTMENT IN TECHNOLOGY!!!!!!! Wall Street and Politics- the only places you can commit heinous crimes against your constituents and then disappear, wash up, wait, claim mea culpa, and come out clean and back in action in 5 years later… Read more »
jvic47
jvic47
April 12, 2013 9:57 am

I have to laugh at all these people who lost money on speculative recommendations by Tobin Smith and are now crying about it. What will tomorrows topic be,Lets beat up Cramer?I took a flier on one of Tobins reccomendations and I’m up 60%. Maybe I’m just lucky!

Newton
Newton
April 12, 2013 3:50 pm

So why wouldn’t you make a short play like the insiders? There’s money to be made here.
Of course, you have to be able to live with yourself after sucking up a piece of grammas retirement income.

Tom Patton
April 12, 2013 4:10 pm

jvic47 – you would not be laughing if you were out of your 60%. You just got lucky-once.
Gloating about it just shows how ignorant you are and what is wrong with the system in general.

Tom Patton
April 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Hey Newton- what if it is your Grandmother? Better clear out your office and make the bathroom handicap accessible you heartless @##$%$

xoli
xoli
April 13, 2013 4:36 am

Hey everybody-what about this Palladium secret the Russians are keeping from us and Dr. Kent Moors, where can I buy it without putting up that much $ to find out.

Myron Martin
April 13, 2013 12:59 pm
FREE is good, the Russians are not keeping a secret from a junior mining stock specialist like me, it has been in my portfolio for a long time and now finally things are shaping up that it has a chance to thrive given heightened demand and falling production with the troubles in S. Africa, (the primary source) and the stockpiles in Russia becoming depleted, the main reason for the clever promotion. Here are the FACTS; North American Palladium PDL reached a low of $1.13 on the general junior decline of the past 6 months or so, it reached a 52… Read more »
wikiderm
wikiderm
April 13, 2013 9:42 am

Used to get cold calls from ‘bucket shops’.
Asked them to call me back on ‘my other number’.
Gave them (202) 551-6551 The SEC’s Investor Assistance and Complaints line.
Funny – never heard back from one of them.

jvic47
jvic47
April 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Let me get this straight Tom.Your the one who apparently didn’t do his homework and lost money,yet I’m the fool.
Stop whinning,get over it and move on Tom.

Tom Patton
April 13, 2013 3:19 pm
No I did not lose any money on them BECAUSE I DO DO MY HOMEWORK. That being said, I work with a group of elderly working class retirees who got slaughtered by a phone run pump and dump scam which was overseen by the 2 members of UNXL senior management before they became involved in UNXL. 6 have had to sell their houses and move in to mobile homes and 4 can not even afford to do that. They are wiped out. Completely tapped. There are about 20 odd more who are in financial dire straights. They received over 20… Read more »
jvic47
jvic47
April 15, 2013 10:43 am

Hey Tom, You have No idea what stock I’m referring to.In fact it was not a tech stock at all.You “assume”too many things .You know what happens when you Ass U Me,don’t you?
Time to get off the soapbox Tom. I do just fine without your advice,so don’t call me,I’ll call you!

xoli
xoli
April 13, 2013 1:36 pm

With Bitcoin so low is now the time to buy ?

Larry Saylor
Larry Saylor
April 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Just remember this one word: Tulips

blufox