Stock monitoring methods/software

February 20, 2014

Guys……I need someones help and Im certain Im not alone amongst gumshoer. Im suffering information overload. Can anyone reco a good buyable system/framework for monitoring stock movements/info that is automated or at least allows infinite cut and paste entries or simply sell me theirs. I use yahoo but its v limited in how it deals with non specific info/notes. My broker bank is useless. So I rely on depleted memory cells….it aint working. Consequently, Im spending far too much non retirement time cobbling info together on scraps of paper, then forgetting where I put them.
Ive opened this discussion so that anyone with suggestions can comment. Thanx

12 Comments on " Stock monitoring methods/software"

arch1
February 20, 2014 8:34 am

Alan; Congrats! I was hoping someone would start such a discussion. I t seems to me that everything has a cycle or pattern if we care to notice. In seemingly irrational things ,like the stock market, pattern tracking should be very applicable. However If you start from a wrong premise the model you develop will be flawed & not consistently reliable. Multiply that with the increasing computer analysis usage may have surprising results,such as 1000 point drop in market in recent memory. That being said, I like Alan would like to hear others thinking on subject.

arch1
February 20, 2014 8:45 am

Alan; as to depleted memory; Why don’t we get a depletion allowance like Oil & mining, seems depletion of ‘non renewable resource’??

Jim t.
Jim t.
February 20, 2014 9:06 am

If a ‘memory depletion allowance’ were allowed, I would never have to pay taxes again. So I, too, would love to hear about potential tracking/managing software solutions. Thanks.

wisesubscription2012
wisesubscription2012
February 20, 2014 4:42 pm

There is a software called Tradestops, founded by Dr. Richard Smith. You pay monthly to use for trailing stop, alerts, etc. I thought it is a great idea. If I haven’t subscribed to Trade Station, I will probably try them out. http://www.tradestops.com
I don’t benefit anything from the company. Just thought it might be worth checking them out.

tanglewood
February 20, 2014 10:13 pm
Hi Alan; Have you tried portfolios under Yahoo? You can customize the view. I have each of my brokerage accounts as a separate portfolio. It doesn’t do a roll-up so I have another portfolio which is a summation of the individual ones. For security reasons, I put in a percentage of shares that I own. There are lots of choices on columns. Here is my customized view; Symbol, Name, Price, Change, Shares, Days Val Chg + %, Price Paid, Mkt Value, Gain & % gain, 52 wk range, Notes. That is 11 columns: the max is 15. The symbol has… Read more »
Jim t.
Jim t.
February 21, 2014 1:42 am

I agree that Yahoo portfolios can be a nice free tool, but I just wish they had kept access to the previous My Yahoo version available. The new one is much harder to navigate through, nowhere near as intuitive, and apparently disliked by just about everyone. But you can still set up multiple portfolios and if you just put in that you own 1 share in your watch lists, you can track performance a bit more completely.

Alan Harris
Alan Harris
February 21, 2014 11:51 am
Thanks to all so far. Yes I use Yahoo and its good at what it does ie cold numbers. Perhaps Im expecting too much, but my problem is that I look at a ticker and think ‘why did I buy that 2yrs ago? or ‘Why did I keep that or ‘what should I be watching out for and when’. It would be good to attribute a link to, say, KSS’s # num on Gumshoe thread xyz, or reference some feedback from the company website or whatever. Ideally this would be done semi auto by scouring the net or importing new… Read more »
sivapann
sivapann
February 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Alan – May be you know this already. GS has a tracker but unsure if subscribers are allowed to manage this. I think you are looking out for something like this

There is no site that I know of that is collaborative enough to manage this information.

Alan Harris
Alan Harris
February 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Yeh, Im aware of this and it makes scary reading for ‘the ones that got away’ ! GS doesnt allow users to manipulate the data and as far as I know wont give copies of the software. But I found that Yahoo does allow (a limited number ) of notes which helps a lot. Evernote wont work as it cant update stox data dynamically….in effect its a load of organised post-it notes.
Im astonished that theres no stox system. How many investors are there? and all needing a system. Someone’s missing a big earner trick I think.
Thanx for your comments.

sivapann
sivapann
February 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Alan – Try this one out – http://www.ddmachine.com/
You can create a login for yourself, add tickers(presents in a windows explorer like tree) and you can also add notes for tickers, use ‘My DD’ component to add notes..looks to be the one that you are looking for

kurtwalter
kurtwalter
February 21, 2014 11:32 pm
I am quite happy with my current system: I basically use the following website: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/#dashboard/follows/ and have a series of watchlists that track my holdings in various sectors. The watchlist features are quite extensive and allow you to track performance over time, daily movements, holdings, yields, ex-div dates, etc. I also use watchlists to track stocks of interest, say in the biotech sector. The site also have a portfolio feature which enables you to track portfolio performance, incl dividends. I have given up trying to compile all historical notes. As an academic I used to hoard all historical information, but… Read more »
Alan Harris
Alan Harris
February 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Essentially its the same as Yahoo. Still thanks for sharing.

I once advised someone here to keep their holdings down to 10 stocks, or monitoring and tracking becomes a full time job. I should listen to my own advice.

wpDiscuz