written by reader The Time Machine: What’s the best way to protect ourselves against the next market crash?

By Patricia, February 14, 2015

If you had a time machine, and could go back to 2007, which stocks and other investments would you hold, buy, or sell? How about 1999, or even 1929? Do the best investments just prior to all market crashes have anything much in common?

How likely would your picks be to maintain, increase, or recover their value during and after the next crash?

Are you not worried, because you know you are invested in great companies, so can securely ride out a crash until the market resurges – which it always does? Do you see a drop like that as a good thing, because you can buy great stocks at bargain prices?
Or are you concerned enough to want to keep at least 10% of your investments in ”safe havens” – if so, what do you think the best ones are?

Do you think it is more likely to be caused by a cyclical panic sell-off, by bad government policies, by corrupt banking practices, by disruptions or shifts in the world monetary system, or some combination of these?

All thoughts, opinions, personal stories, and quotes from useful sources are welcome. Let’s share information, and learn from each other. Let’s figure out the best way to prepare, so we can have peace of mind and not be so fixated on financial and economic news that we don’t fully enjoy life.

πŸ‘ 689
πŸ‘ 689
optionski
optionski
5 years ago

Just now becoming a new irregular, I have not read Travis’ comments concerning “…that the next crash will be very different from the last one.” Has he written how it will be different … longer, deeper, more swift … ?
Tim Wood, of cyclesman.com, would disagree with the basic statement. His research says that all have the same basic ‘DNA markers’ as a prelude to the crash.
Rick

πŸ‘ 18
πŸ‘ 689
Rusty Brown in Canada
Rusty Brown in Canada
5 years ago
Reply to  Patricia

Maybe Travis did use the word “crisis” but you used the word “crash” in the 4th paragraph of your article”:
“Do you think, like Travis does, that the next crash will be very different from the last one?”
That’s what rick pionkowski was quoting.
Just for the record.

πŸ‘ 689
πŸ‘ 689
πŸ‘ 689
arch1
5 years ago
Reply to  Patricia

I see nothing I would disagree with. I have HL as a core holding and have done well selling covered calls against it. Also small lots of Sprott phys gold and silver funds,Sand for royalty and misc. others.
When the market crashes I think it will happen at lightening speed given how the world financial structure never sleeps. The world is operating on a vapor money supply IE the ability to tax by governments and the ability of debtors to repay based on assets and future earnings. Future earnings are ephemeral and so is the ability to collect taxes
when faith is destroyed in the soundness of money and may remain so for a long period.
Goods are called that because they are a good thing to have for survival.
One of your best assets should be friends, family and neighbors you know and trust.

πŸ‘ 7795
jack11
jack11
5 years ago
Reply to  arch1

I like the idea of a list of high quality gold / silver stocks to trade around. Like many others, I’m holding quite a few losers in precious metals equities, keeping them for the possible moonshot. In addition to your best assets list, Arch1, I would add a reliable rifle and ammunition.

πŸ‘ 8
arch1
5 years ago
Reply to  jack11

jack I am well equipped tho I have no intent of doing a Custers last stand ,,,,,,firing off a 12 gauge shotgun at night [ala Joe Biden] does earn the notice and respect of the neighbors.
Farmers and ranchers all have guns for “predator control” and practice the three S system,,,shoot shovel and shutup,,,,,,and we all respect each other. Few coyotes and feral dogs here-abouts.

πŸ‘ 7795
RKD2
RKD2
5 years ago
Reply to  Patricia

Patricia, would you care to give more details on your strategy in #3? I got into mining stocks around 2007 and am sitting on a substantial loss. I’m mostly still holding because the underlying concerns that got me into them in the first place are unchanged, but it would be nice to do something more intelligent with the funds in the meantime. Fortunately I am a bit ahead on physical gold/silver, no plan to sell those.

πŸ‘ 100
πŸ‘ 689
RKD2
RKD2
5 years ago
Reply to  Patricia

Hi Patricia, thanks for your reply. More specifically, I wanted to stay in the precious metals space but don’t have the time or knowledge to stay on top of the mining stocks. Was curious about which precious metal funds you have been using. Your strategy makes a lot of sense and would be a good way for me to diversify out of these individual miners. If you don’t feel comfortable elaborating more on your strategy, no worries.
I agree with you completely about the majority of mining and biotech stocks being junk… I have learne