written by reader Bill Bonner

By Anonymous Questions, September 20, 2015

Do you know anything about this dooms day guy by the name of Bill Bonner from Agora????? He says he has correctly predicted many sell offs in the past. I have never even heard of him. Why doesn’t he get any press??????

Robert
Robert
September 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Bill Bonner founded Agora Publishing, Inc. in 1979. Today he is a multi millionaire and spends much of his time in France where he owns a chateau in the countryside. Today under Agora Publishing he has subsidiaries like Stansberry Research, Money Map Press, Agora Financial Publicaions, etc. he currently has over 600,000 subscribers more than the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal combined. For the most part, he stays out of the limelight and is rarely seen. He has authored several books including The Day of Reckoning about 25 years ago.

ethant
ethant
September 22, 2015 12:30 am

His latest book Hormegeddon was an entertaining read. He is right in sync with Ron Paul, Peter Schiff, Jim Rickards and Austrian Economic like-minded folks, in general, if you’re into that sort of thing.

πŸ‘ 12
takeprofits
September 22, 2015 10:14 am

Through his Daily Reckoning column Bill Bonner has become one of the best known and highly acclaimed writers of the past few decades, where has this guy been hiding that hasn’t heard of him or thinks he dosent get any press? Bill Bonner may be depicted by some who prefer to stick their heads in the sand as a “doomsday writer” but I see him as do 10,000’s of others as a REALIST who writes about the real problems of our civilization with candour and no pandering to the powers that be. He has a huge ranch in Argentina from where he writes his Daily Diary. Love him or hate him Agora Publishing has been one of the greatest business success stories of the past few decades with affiliates all over the world.

Patricia
September 22, 2015 12:47 pm
Reply to  Myron Martin

Agree. I rather wish that I and a few others I know who were so negatively affected by the 2007/2008 crash were paying better attention to those with a grasp of real economics who were clearly sounding the alarm in the years before. I don’t mean the shrill build-your-bunker NOW types, I mean reasonable people with respectable credentials and/or a record of success.

What turns so many people off, understandably, are the sales tactics. I have mixed feelings about that because it can be tough to attract the public’s attention at all, let alone motivate them to actually take action or even just read a book. Though I like and respect Jim Rickards for example (who also writes for Daily Reckoning), I remember laughing out loud at this part of a pitch his guys put together: “It could happen at any moment. But there’s still time to act!” Slightly contradictory, boys!

But I plead guilty too. No one who has ever been responsible for sales/marketing (when all eyes are on YOU to bring in the business, so their paychecks don’t bounce) hasn’t gone too far at some time to perform. I remember losing a sale one time for good reason. It was going very well until I (following my script) informed the prospect that if he acted NOW he’d get today’s “special discounted price.” His expression completely changed. As much as he liked the product (and it was a good one) he refused to buy on principle because he disagreed with such tactics – it was a personal policy of his. I didn’t really mind losing the sale, because I kind of agreed with him. Left to my own devices (no script), as long as I was truly enthusiastic about what I was selling, I could be pretty good at sales. But in general it remains an ethically-challenged field.

πŸ‘ 689
L J
L J
July 1, 2017 9:38 pm
Reply to  Patricia

Patricia, I was in sales of insurance for 42 years. You are so right in saying that sales is an ethically challenged field. I believe that my longevity in sales for me, is that to sleep well at night I had to do what was right. Not rip the public off and mislead my clients. This worked well for me as my business grew by referrals and my clients trusted me.
Very few salespersons, in any field of sales, has this-work ethic .
I am now retired but reacted recently, as your client did , to a High pressure salesman. I would not buy from him because of this. It appears that this has become more of the norm today. When I first started my agency, a handshake was sufficient, sadly no longer

garymatt
garymatt
April 22, 2019 12:34 am
Reply to  L J

Once upon a time I sold insurance. I was recruited by the man who became my supervisor. He saw me on the job at the pizza restaurant I managed no matter what day or time he came in. He said I could work 1/2 as hard and make twice as much if I came to work at his insurance company. Of course a lot was unsaid but as I worked there and listened to the incredibly entertaining stories was that it was required to have an utter lack of morals procure clients and sell the product. I gave my notice after trying (trying to sell not trying to be corrupt) after a whole year of this. Even jobless and broke I still was thankful for it getting me out of managing a pizza restaurant.
It is good to see comments like those from Patricia and the above Guest.

πŸ‘ 28
doug t
doug t
September 23, 2015 7:18 pm

I read him daily. He speaks a lot of truth, its just most people are afraid to hear it. Take him for the Geo-political and long term economic lessons he gives.

Travis Johnson, Stock Gumshoe
September 23, 2015 7:50 pm
Reply to  doug t

He’ll also admit to being very wrong for very long periods of time if you read his more serious work — in his ads, not so much.

πŸ‘ 17250
mmgebken
mmgebken
July 4, 2018 4:05 pm

Yes, Bill Bonner does not try to forcast the market but points out big picture problems & causes which I think are relevant.