written by reader Gold and Silver and Hard Assets after Trump’s Inauguration…2017

By hendrixnuzzles, January 23, 2017

MAKE YOUR PORTFOLIO GREAT AGAIN !
This thread is a continuation of several threads posted previously by the author on gold and silver and hard asset investments. I am still a believer in hard assets. I also believe we are entering a period of inflation with continued dollar devaluation, higher interest rates, and a sluggish economy with chaotic dislocations. I believe there will be a lot of uncertainty and high volatility.

PURPOSE My intent is to find and discuss good mining and commodity ideas. Gold and silver remain a focus, but I want to achieve a more balanced approach still based on tangible commodities.

STEEL and IRON ORE…I believe Trump’s programs will benefit iron ore and steel. Stocks in this sector have been beaten down terribly but are rebounding. I am long VALE, a Brazilian company which is the world’s largest iron ore producer. I have been long Arcelor Mittal but do not have a position at the moment. Anybody know anything about cement and asphalt ?
COPPER, ZINC, PGM METALS…My very best conviction stock is Ivanhoe Mines IVPAF. I am completely comfortable with a large single position in IVPAF to cover these metals. However other investors may be uncomfortable with a small cap in sub-Saharan Africa. So I think it is beneficial to introduce other names even though I myself am not interested. Rio Tinto, Freeport-McMoran, Teck, Turquoise Hill, BHP and others come to mind. Travis, our host, is long Altius Minerals, and I have been also.
URANIUM…I’m bullish but the choices seem pretty limited. My top three investment-grade choices are Cameco first, then Cameco second, or my third pick would be Cameco. After that, you are speculating on small caps, or buying ETFS or funds comprised of Cameco and some small caps. At the moment, I am long Cameco and UEC.
LITHIUM…I am considering a long position in lithium. I have nothing to recommend at the moment, although I am strongly considering Galaxy, an Australian company. And I like Neometals, also an Australian, but it is difficult to get from my broker, who hates it when I want to buy obscure 50 cent companies on small foreign exchanges. If anybody’s got a great battery play, I am interested.
POTASH/FERTILIZER…very interested but they all seem pretty expensive. There has been consolidation but I have considered Agrium, Mosaic, and there is a German company whose name I forget at the moment (K&D? K&S?).
OIL AND GAS…I would like some very good conviction picks accompanied by strong reasons and decent research. This field is so big, we could get completely lost just tossing names around. I am somewhat worried about price weakness in the energy sector but feel that it is worthwhile to develop a point of view on a few companies. I have little experience although I made very good money in the past on XOM and CVX. Currently I would be interested in pipelines, LNG, or any other sector that someone knows something about. In natgas I like OGZPY.
SOLAR and WIND…really not too interested. The results depend too much on politics, the time frames seem too long. But I am not completely closed-minded on it if you have conviction on something.
COAL…same opinion as solar and wind, but the prices are low and depressed instead of hyped and high-flying. I am still stuck with some defaulted Arch Coal bonds that my financial advisor recommended. They went to ZERO. Now they are worth a Starbucks latte and a pastry. And no espresso shot in the latte, either.
AGRICULTURE…very interested. A large sector but really not too many choices if you rule out futures, like I do. I have a few obscure favorites, but no positions at present:
WHGPY (Chinese pork processor who bought Smithfield)
LAND (Gladstone Land, California farmland)
INCPY (Input Capital, a Canadian canola, streaming model).
Open to more conventional picks like ADM and DBA.
GOLD AND SILVER…my picks have been discussed at length previously. I follow these pretty closely. I am long royalty/streamers SAND, FNV, SLW, and OR; miners PVG, MAG; developers SA, CLASF, MRDCF, BALMF, KNTNF, and LXVMF; and I own PSLV and physical bullion. I swing trade big caps ABX and NEM.
****
DISCLOSURES. I am a retired executive and an amateur investor. I like both fundamental and technical analysis. I am a medium-term to long-term position player and prefer to discuss stock investment in that context. Please no minute-by-minute reports that oil is now 52.50 down 10 cents and the Iranians may suspend Ramadan next week so you are going long until the afternoon bell.

I am not an expert in any of the commodities discussed nor am I qualified to give advice.
Everyone makes mistakes and I make more than my share.Sometimes I change my mind.

When I post, I express my opinions and my positions. These are just that…they are my opinions and my positions. They are not advice or recommendations, which I remind you I am unqualified to make.

Opinions and positions are subject to change at any moment. That is quite unlike the pig-headed and foolish political convictions everybody carries around adamantly, and which change only rarely for unpredictable reasons that have nothing to do with logical thought or reasoned discussion.
Because of this, political developments can be introduced on this thread only when they have a clear bearing on the commodities or companies under discussion.

You are responsible for your decisions, and I am responsible for mine. Caveat emptor.

I would like to operate in a friendly, honest, and constructive atmosphere.
As thread moderator I reserve to myself the role of referee, censor, arbiter, and Grand Poobah, subject to the over-arching authority of Travis, who owns the site and who has on occasion exercised his right to ruthlessly censor and suppress my radical blatherings.

1.9K Comments
Griffin
Griffin
February 28, 2017 6:36 pm

$UEC – I’ve been getting these updates fr Mehran at UEC on the Uranium spot price. Nice move up today, update follows;
late in the afternoon today we saw the spot price move back over $24/lb (this is also the month-end price). Volumes are still low, stay tuned and we’ll see how the rest of the week shapes up.

Mehran

Broker Average Price
Date UxC BAP UxC BA Bid UxC BA Offer
28-Feb-17 $24.50 (+2.06) $24.00 (+2.00) $25.00 (+2.12)

bigger
February 28, 2017 8:50 pm
Reply to  Griffin

Griffin, I’m not a commodity guy but I’m making my first investment in Uranium. Western Uranium Private Placement. My partner has been talking to most Uranium companies CEOs in the last 6 months and has even written a 25 pages thesis on the subject. he loves it. Cameco cutting output is a huge +++++.

Griffin
Griffin
February 28, 2017 10:01 pm
Reply to  bigger

I’m not really a Uranium guy. To help HN and track the noise on the Uranium bull, I subscribe to the UEC mailing list. I also have a Cobalt stock that has some uranium property, seems someone was looking for gold and found uranium. There have been some interesting programs on PBS tv on the nuclear option. There has been a lot of design work done on nuclear reactor plants. They have one design that will eliminate the nuclear energy waste that is buried in the Sierra Nevadas.. Nuclear is a better alternative than coal&oil.

leslie7
leslie7
February 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Showdown in Indonesia brings world’s biggest gold mine to standstill
Submitted by cpowell on Tue, 2017-02-28 12:52. Section: Daily Dispatches
By Krithika Varagur
Voice of America, Washington
Monday, February 27, 2017

JAKARTA, Indonesia — The American mining company Freeport-McMoRan has brought the world’s biggest gold mine, in the Indonesian province of West Papua, to a standstill. The corporation is butting heads with the Indonesian government over protectionist mining regulations. And now that Freeport has started to dismiss tens of thousands of workers, the local economy is poised to take a huge hit. In Mimika Regency, the West Papua province containing the Grasberg gold mine, 91 percent of the Gross Domestic Product is attributed to Freeport.

Freeport Indonesia abruptly stopped production on February 10 and laid off 10 percent of its foreign workers. It employs 32,000 people in Indonesia, about 12,000 of whom are full-time employees. The freeze was a reaction to a shakeup in Freeport’s 30-year contract with the Indonesian government, signed in 1991. Indonesia has tried to levy additional obligations from Freeport in an attempt to increase domestic revenue from its natural resources. Freeport retaliated last week by threatening to pursue arbitration and sue the government for damages. …

… For the remainder of the report:

leslie7
leslie7
February 28, 2017 8:42 pm

I can’t say that I’m surprised. The government has not wanted us to know what is (or isn’t) there…

U.S. Mint flunks Koos Jansen’s gold audit document request, refunds his fee
Submitted by cpowell on Sun, 2017-02-26 23:53. Section: Daily Dispatches
6:54p ET Sunday, February 26, 2017

Dear Friend of GATA and Gold:

Gold researcher Koos Jansen reports tonight that the U.S. Mint has provided him with some documents in response to his freedom-of-information request for documents related to audits of the U.S. gold reserve but the documents provided are incomplete, redacted, and hundreds of pages short of the number of pages he was told were involved for which he was charged, and so the Mint has refunded his payment.

As the money for his payment was raised by crowdfunding from his readers, Jansen is refunding their contributions.

This is more proof that something dishonest has been going on with the U.S. gold reserve.

Jansen’s report is headlined “U.S. Mint Releases New Fort Knox ‘Audit Documentation’ — the First Critical Observations” and it’s posted at Bullion Star here:

CHRIS POWELL, Secretary/Treasurer
Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee Inc.
CPowell@GATA.org

deanbob
deanbob
March 7, 2017 3:51 pm
Reply to  hendrixnuzzles

How much have they either co-conspired, or ignored the silver manipulation (for decades)?

secretsquirrel
secretsquirrel
March 1, 2017 10:34 am
Reply to  hendrixnuzzles

Thanks hn, usual clarity of how it really is….

The following is from Ivanhoe IR.

(SP up today 10% as I post this)

For those worried about the Insider Selling

I am a long term shareholder of IVN and have supreme confidence in RF and this management team but I have the admit the insider selling had me a little worried.

So I emailed Bill with investor relations with a couple of questions. He does an amazing job by the way. He replied to me within 20 min with the following response. That put any concerns I may have had at ease and makes sense to me.

IR reply below

I am at the BMO mining conference so will have to be brief. Absolutely nothing material with the company. This is simply a stock pulling back after it ran up very quickly, also on no news from the company. Several insiders have options that are expiring and we are entering the long financial black out. As per our last Kakula drilling update release, we expect the resources update early in Q2. There could be more drilling results issued between now and then.

Read more at http://www.stockhouse.com/companies/bullboard/t.ivn/ivanhoe-mines-limited?postid=25911385#9fhX8wxJOfkRkdTV.99

alanh
March 1, 2017 11:12 am
Reply to  hendrixnuzzles

Dunno why anyones worried? The story is improved for te better and stock jumped 10% in ONE day….glad I bought yesterday :)…Oh and it broke thru the Ichi cloud like a rocket. Double down today

crusadercliff
crusadercliff
March 2, 2017 11:17 am
Reply to  hendrixnuzzles

Thank you for this update. I’m thinking of selling NAK since I got in at .59 and take my profits to invest in Ivanhoe.