written by reader Scandium, Cobalt, and Water Purification: Clean Teq Holdings,Volume 2, 2018

By hendrixnuzzles, January 31, 2018

2017 was a year of tremendous accomplishment for Clean Teq Holdings in every respect.

We saw remarkable achievements in mine construction, in finance, and in market development, with landmark contracts in every business segment;

We saw a complex business appear as if by magic, including business offices on four continents, and the launch of business website in the water division;

We were informed of superb existing and newly-formed strategic partnerships,
with the likes of Airbus, Peng-Xin Mining, Chinese state and power entities, Chinalco, and Multotec;

We were witness to a major off-take agreement with a leading battery manufacture;

We learned of an astute acquisition of a controlling interest in a VRB business by Mr. Friedland;

We learned of deep and valuable research and development support at prestigious universities and manufacturers;
and we became sure of unseen low-cost manufacturing contacts and alliances.

And oh-by-the-way, we got a listing on the TSX.

The company inspires confidence and optimism. Robert Friedland has a deep long-term strategy, and he knows what he is doing.
I am not sure what is more impressive: His strategic vision, or his managerial talent in executing it.

Clean Teq is a company that is worth following. It is by far my largest position.
There are a lot of companies with good concepts. But Clean Teq has a deep and brilliant strategic concept which is at the heart of major world trends; a revolutionary technology; and a management that executes flawlessly.
GOING FORWARD: SUITABLE TOPICS FOR THIS THREAD

1. CLEAN TEQ HOLDINGS, CLEAN TEQ WATER, and their interests, or related companies.

2. Miners and producers of COBALT, VANADIUM, SCANDIUM; also nickel, zinc, graphite, lithium, rare earths, silica, and manganese.

3. WATER PURIFICATION, especially when tied into mineral extraction therefrom.

4. “TECHNO MINERS” and other innovators in mining and material extraction

See notes below on thread and topic overlaps, which are unavoidable.
One year ago this week, I wrote an article on Clean Teq Holdings. It was a speculative company, but
one with a visionary and proven leader, dramatic potential in specific, attractive commodities,
innovative methods and IP for mineral extraction, and big ambitions in water purification.

Clean Teq Holdings defied easy categorization, and continues to do so.
One year later, Clean Teq has not disappointed. Clean Teq has exceeded all reasonable expectations.
If you need background on Clean Teq, I refer you to the predecessor of this thread: “Scandium, Cobalt,
and Water Purification: Clean Teq Holdings”, where you will also find the guidelines and rules for this
thread; and to the Clean Teq and Clean Teq Water websites, which warrant close examination.

OUR BIAS AND BASIC VIEW
This thread is for those who believe in the coming EV wave, light weighting of transport, and most importantly,
in the importance of energy storage and batteries of all scales;
and also, it is for those who believe that the disruptions caused thereby will be rapid.

Because of this opinion, it follows that the existing viable battery technologies and the materials needed
for them are important. We anticipate rapid change; we subscribe to the Tony Seba “Disruption Scenario”,
that suggests disruptiv changes are occuring faster.
If you disagree with the Disruption Scenario, or the eventual proliferation of EVs,
that is fine; but please do not debate it on this thread. The thread is for those who believe in the future of battery power,
and in the immediate opporunities in commodities related to batteries and energy storage.
We will be able to see in shortly whether we are right or wrong in this belief.
If it takes longer than we think, we will complain about ”being early.”

My perspective is for the next five years. That is “long term”. This is not a trading thread.
Occasionally short-term opportunities are appropriate to call out,
but short-term trading is not the emphasis here.

On the other hand should restrain ourselves from too much attention
to developments and materials for technologies that are likely to take longer than five years to have an impact.
We are looking for investable ideas, not 10 year forecasts on the Future of Civilization.
So let’s keep it down on hydrogen fuel cells and molten salt batteries for a couple of months.
NOTES ON THREAD AND TOPIC OVERLAPS
Our assumption is that Li-NCM, VRB’s, and zinc batteries are going to be the main battery formats purchased,
installed or contracted for in the near-term, hence the commodities needed for them are of interest.

New battery technologies are better discussed on the #batteries thread ,
unless they involve a vertical commodity/battery producer.
We are interested in what is going to have an impact in five years.

For example, if you are convinced that Google is about to conquer the world with a molten salt battery,
then come on over here and recommend Morton Salt as a buy-out candidate.

But debate whether molten salt batteries have a future, and when, on the #batteries thread.

News that shows increasing penetration on solar are relevant,
as they confirm the importance of large-scale energy storage.
But we would like to know who is getting the contracts and what type of battery they are using.

There is going to be some unavoidable overlap. Nickel and manganese sources are swing metals,
sometimes they may be better discussed on the Hard Asset thread as base metals.

If you make a post on the wrong thread, don’t worry too much, there are
no fines or jail time. I do it myself all the time and I understand it can be confusing.
You can also use Travis’ new cross-reference gizmo.

Long $CTEQF $CLQ Clean Teq Holdings

edski
October 22, 2018 2:16 pm

$VRS lp $FGR lp #Graphene

Shavian and williamstown….
How have you two been viewing your perspective companies?

I am at a loss re: the current drop in VRS, unless they are catching up with the general market. Of course, I am down in both stocks, unfortunately… I am used to that!

VRS is adding a lot of people around the world, and FGR seems to be plugging along, but without much news. And now HN informs us of the Ionic and CLQ JV,
who are in production!

You guys, or anyone else, have any thoughts regarding Graphene?

renbycage
renbycage
October 22, 2018 2:55 pm
Reply to  edski

CTEQF: Don’t be misled, cleanteq and ionic are not in production. They are still in the product development phase. They are 18-24 months away from production, if it all works out for them, you can all decide your expectations of the likelihood that they achieve their timeline.

renbycage
renbycage
October 22, 2018 4:07 pm
Reply to  renbycage

Long CTEQF, ARRRF. I still kind of like CTEQF, because I like all three, cobalt, nickel, and scandium, also australia as a jurisdiction, chinese connections, Friedland connections, water upside. I am a bit uncomfortable with capex, present valuation relative to peers, this years deadness in the water division, pace becoming slower than my expectations on all fronts. I am much heavier into Ardea now, because I feel its present valuation speaks to me of much greater upside, and less potential downside, though the whole financing situation is very risky. I feel they will ultimately get financed, my intuition is their management may ultimately be more investor friendly, and there is huge multi bag possibilities, certainly from where it is now. I have mixed feelings towards Friedland, not in his ability to make money for himself, I see him becoming one of the wealthiest beings on this planet, like top 10-50, he may be already there, how much money he makes for me I am far less confident.

sarahh
sarahh
October 23, 2018 1:56 pm
Reply to  renbycage

Renby….luv your posts. You recently wrote about CLQ hitting ~40, and it did ! I (and many others no doubt) would be very interested to know your basis for this calculation (and presumably other valuations)
Much obliged.

renbycage
renbycage
October 23, 2018 4:02 pm
Reply to  sarahh

sarahh, thank you. Certainly I don’t have a crystal ball, if I have a strength it is that I think in a non partisan way, and resolutely keep my emotions out of my investment analysis. When I see regular posters on stock message boards react emotionally to information about their pet stocks that they perceive as negative, I literally cringe. It exposes an unfortunate weakness. I used to play poker professionally, and when a player at the table showed me a weakness like that, I literally started counting their chips, because I knew my winnings were going to come from their pile. Its the same thing with stock investing. I loved CLQ as an investment, and put a lot of money into it [for me] more than 2 years ago. I followed it closely, learned a lot, and had a strong hypothesis, much of which is still in place. But based on what I have learned in these years, my sense of risk has increased dramatically. I rode it up to well over a 100% profit, and then down, almost all the way back to where I started [US71 cents] without adding or subtracting a share to my original purchase. In the period before the DFS came out, I started getting a bit nervous over various things I was perceiving. Timelines were stalling, and they were giving guidance that the CAPEX was going way up, though they re-assured it would be negated by increased production numbers [which turned out not to be true, which I saw from the DFS]. The water division deals were not just few and far between, but the ones they announced were for peanuts. To be honest, if I was totally on top of my game, I would have sold before the DFS came out, and saved a lot of profit. But I waited for the DFS, and the minute I saw it, I knew the elevator was going down. I immediately posted in this space Oh Oh. I was super lucky to be able to get rid of a couple hundred thousand shares almost immediately OTC, there was every possibility I was going to get stuck with that volume while the shares plummeted. I was able to sell the 80% of my shares I wanted at about US80 cents. Today those shares are about 60% lower. The 20% I kept have now paper lost the profit I made on the other 80% and I’m very close to even on the whole thing. I’m not inclined to purchase more at this price, nor sell what I have. The post I shared some months back, 5 reasons why CLQ stock price deserved to go down, was my counter to those posters who saw no fundamental change to the investment case. Those were 5 strong fundamental changes in my perception. The partisans always attribute extraneous reasons for their pet stocks going down. Oh the manipulation, the shorters, accumulation by big money, the irrational market. In that post, I countered that kind of blind thinking, because to me there was a huge fundamental shift. This stock was no longer appropriate for my number one oversized position. The number I came up with for how low it would go was an informed guess. I guess thats the best any of us can do. Sometimes I’m right, sometimes I’m wrong, but I do seem to have a good feel for this game, and do extremely well, at least up to now. I believe the reason I do well is because, for the most part, the market is highly rational, and I apply ice cold rational analysis. It does have a tendency to over-correct both up and down, thats one way I make money, [I think you call that swing trades] but the main way is prophetic thinking, that is identifying mega-trends before the masses. The same way I’ve made a living in my businesses.

secretsquirrel
secretsquirrel
October 23, 2018 4:23 pm
Reply to  renbycage

Thanks renby for the detailed post and agree with most if not all you said. I’m still holding as I like the story and got other business related stuff going on in media. Think RF could still surprise and the EV movement is gaining momentum. Smart monies might have exetited but I’m definitely no traded. Interesting times and happy to be invested in something positive for our planet and no just money. Best to you SS.

motion
motion
October 30, 2018 4:45 am
Reply to  hendrixnuzzles

mgx to get first rev. from wasteh20 cleanup on nov. 13 this yr. 1 million from first devise. a yr.

edski
October 23, 2018 8:26 am
Reply to  renbycage

Thank you renbycage. I was misled, maybe thinking that the GO Membranes were their Graphene production….

Over the past 18 months, Clean TeQ and Ionic have successfully developed a process to manufacture high purity graphene oxide that can be applied to a membrane support to create a highly efficient graphene nanofiltration membrane (GO-Membrane).
Significantly, the GO-Membrane manufacturing process has been demonstrated on commercial scale industrial equipment.
The joint venture with Ionic will be structured as a newly incorporated joint venture (JV Co) owned 75% by Clean TeQ and 25% by Ionic. Ionic will grant a sub-licence of its GO technologies to JV Co in the field of water purification. Both partners will fund pro-rata expenditure in JV Co to progress development and commercialization of the technology.
Once established, JV Co will be focused on achieving commercial scale production of graphene oxide and GO-Membranes, as well as water purification modules targeted at wholesale and retail customers.

Still, I can’t wait to see what different uses these accomplish when brought into production.

This VRS drop really surprises me. They held fast during early market losses and now a slow dance downward. Usually when a stock holds tight in a market like that, it will continue to head higher or at least stay there until markets become readily available to bid them up.

Griffin
Griffin
October 22, 2018 3:15 pm
Reply to  edski

I don’t have a position in graphene too many possibilities. I do have a position in Graphite, mason graphite $LLG. Graphite in EVs a little more predictable.

edski
October 23, 2018 8:48 am
Reply to  Griffin

Ya know, I almost got that one. But after seeing how early I was into so many companies and how fragile their stock pricing was, I stopped purchasing early movers, and got some companies already doing business.
Now, I don’t have much dry powder left, and I still think that the markets will drop. Looking at the markets today……..it ain’t over with!!!

williamstown