written by reader Motley Fool Moonshot blast off 2020

By joenw, January 4, 2020

I think what I hate most about subscribing to any Motley Fool newsletters is the bombardment of ads for more newsletters. Today’s ad was for the Blast Off 2020 letters for $1499 or some other version of it for $1999. Whenever I’ve tried other newsletters, I’ve ended up disappointed and really only like 2, Advisor and Options. Has anyone tried any of their Blast Off newsletters? If yes, any comments?
Thanks,
Joe

brentmarla
brentmarla
January 6, 2020 11:31 am

I’m with you on Motley Advisor and Options. I paid for Global that was also of value as it selected companies outside of the US. Half of those were in Canada or South America and already promoted in other news letters. Half were new and of value. I hesitate on letters like blastoff because the overlap should be closer to 100% of other news letters. At least I feel they should be showing me those best stocks already in the letters I get.

chancho6
chancho6
May 15, 2020 12:56 am
Reply to  brentmarla

I AGREE. TRAVIS CAN TELL YOU WHICH STOCKS THEY ARE TEASING IN THESE NEWS LETTERS……………….

STEPHANIE CUMMINGS
STEPHANIE CUMMINGS
July 8, 2020 3:46 am
Reply to  brentmarla

I’m not familiar with Options? I do have Advisor and Rule Breakers. What’s the low down on Options?

hanksterrr
January 6, 2020 12:38 pm

Anyone have any info on Rob Booker and his Monday Morning Payday. Sounds like hype.

inperpetuity
inperpetuity
February 13, 2020 9:30 pm
Reply to  hanksterrr

Not sure if this is the place to reply to this, but Travis will decide…

I’ve been researching Rob Booker myself as I was interested in learning to trade hedged currency pairs using ETFs and his “16hours Jump trades” caught my eye. What I’ve discovered can be found on forex boards (valforex babypips etc.) since he has predominantly been a FX trader. Booker in the past has positioned himself as a FX trader & trainer but has more recently moved into option selling (Monday Morning Payday) and of course, the “16hours Jump trades” with Roger Scott.

He can’t be classed as a scammer for the money he makes for his FX training, however doesn’t seem to be that great at it (need to take that with a pinch of salt because a lot of people looking for quick fixes just don’t do the work to be traders). It has been reported that a lot of his strategies are older ones which are considered to be outdated or irrelevant now, however again, whether something works or not for a particular trader can have many variables and how dedicated that person is to becoming a trader.

He has become a CTA so his trading record is public record, however it actually doesn’t make for a great story. He seems to be an average at best trader. A number of his past students have been critical that his personal trading style does not reflect, even ignores, much of what he teaches.

Lately he’s moved into selling subscriptions for services which he couldn’t be really called an expert (ie. options selling). I watched the MMP video and his “i’ll be your best friend” approach was slick especially with handing out money for each trade (as if the profit was already banked from selling the option) but it is patently misleading in two ways.
a. he not once discussed the necessary requirement of a decent-sized account to be able to sell options on stocks.
b. not all option are going to expire worthless, and there is an inherent risk associated with it which often requires a hedge to even changes to the hedge and the profit may be greatly reduced. There are better and cheaper option selling courses/mentors out there than this.

In checking his public FB page, it is full of newbies, and he obviously keeps tight control over what remains published on it. And for a person who purports to become friends with his clients, he is uncontactable via any of this websites (which are half-hearted affairs with key pages not even containing info on them). When I did find an email address that worked, it took almost a week for someone to respond to a request for historical trading info related to the 16hour jump trades and that so far has just been to point me towards another person in his organisation.

The most telling aspect though was that a few people who have previously bought some of his expensive services report that the service they purchased ultimately did not see any decent returns and was ditched by him for new services, and alarmingly a common complaint was that he didn’t deliver the alerts or ongoing updates related to those services, and that the chat rooms were closed. There’s even suggestions that he may not have been paper trading the things he recommended.

So while I wouldn’t call him a scammer for his training, I wouldn’t call him a worthy person to use – there are plenty of real forex / options trainers out there who will teach you much more for far less.

But from what I’ve seen for the subscription services he is touting, I’d say yes he very likely is a scammer because what he was promising isn’t what he is delivering or can even be delivered, and he doesn’t declare the basic requirements of the service. As such I highly doubt that he has any trade history of note for the 16hour Jump trades – I will wait and see what he returns me. Roger Scot’s services seem to have a similar reputation.

Hope that helps. I’d be interested in other people’s views or experiences.

K Gibson
K Gibson
January 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Blast Off 2019 has been a huge winner for me, and I just subscribed to Blast Off 2020. I agree that they bombard you with emails, but I just delete what I’m not interested in. Also think Stock Advisor is great.
I had some kind of package deal which included most services but I now only want the Blast Off 2019 & 2020 (even though some of the stocks overlap) and I’ll renew Stock Advisor and let the rest go.

drdevious
drdevious
January 20, 2020 5:51 am
Reply to  K Gibson

I bought stock advisor, augmented reality, and AI. Is 20% profit in 2.5 months decent?

I’m pleased, MF has paid itself off, I learned a great deal about investing and why. But I’m also disappointed, they do a great job at telling “The Story” behind the company and why it’s a long term investment and to invest now knowing that despite the ups and downs, the stock choices will beat the market and have huge upside potential. They cite previous picks like Amazon, Netflix, and Alphabet 10x! But for a new investor like myself, I literally cannot stomach the thought of buying in blindly and camping for 3-5 years. Especially when after reviewing many of their “Best Buy’s now” they have some terrible timing. Others, which they say are great investments but don’t say “buy it now” literally GAP up 30% and it bothers me because I’m not adding to my position, I’m literally allocating from scratch. They say I should have some of the big market cap stocks to be majority of my allocation but again, the timing is so sketchy for me seeing how extended everything is. I’ve had Apple stock for several years. That’s a winner I chose blindly.

To date since November 2019-Jan20 I’ve literally had 20% net gain on the stocks I chose to invest in from Motley Fool services, but if I had timed the market with more strategy I could have performed at 40%. Motley fool service is, in my opinion, for average wealthy new investors who want to plop down cash and forget about it for 3-5 years. I’m way too concerned and prefer to snipe and gamble with my money precisely, rather less barbaric by purchasing everything in sight. I’ve ended up investing subscription into IBD leaderboard to get into leading stocks at or near buy points. I thought I bought in at a good time on my own research and due diligence, but I missed a few things, of course, cause I’m new!

Many of my MF stocks are also leaders on IBD leaderboard but I prefer knowing when is a good time to harvest profits, vs add to positions. I guess I’m inexperienced, impatient, naive, but I’m also a gamer and a gambler, so swing trading appears to be my style currently. Any advice of refunds for motley fool? Cheers

inperpetuity
inperpetuity
February 13, 2020 9:25 pm
Reply to  drdevious

I think the reality of many long-term stock picking services is that a site like this is a better investment. Mainly, you’re after good stock that may not be on your radar to buy and hold then Travis and the Stock Gumshoe community uncover what is being spruiked, and discuss it intelligently. Save you a lot of money and still get similar results – the only thing you aren’t getting is advice on when to enter a specific stock (though people weigh into that), but frankly that’s the hard part. In life, timing is everything. And that’s the part that you will pay a lot of money for with people who actually do have a good track record – or you can put in the work to learn it like the rest, or join a trading service which trains you.

star128
star128
May 7, 2020 10:21 pm
Reply to  K Gibson

Hi K, I am a member with fool, I have a couple questions regarding to the blast off 2020 subscription, can you please get back to me at email star128126@gmail.com. Thanks J

Marv
Marv
May 8, 2020 4:11 am
Reply to  K Gibson

Hey k Gibson I’m a member of motley’s stock advisor rule breakers and moneymakers which was over 2000 dollars.. I did hear the microcap presentation and was intrigued but couldn’t pull the trigger after already purchasing moneymakers. Would love to hear your thoughts on the portfolios (moneymakers actually has 3 separate ones dividends long short and moneymakers all very well set up very detailed and different levels based on can highest percentages of doubling the market) knsl which they gave in the presentation actually overlaps.. wonder if many overlap although it’s supposed to be different

rbwwinters
rbwwinters
January 21, 2020 9:53 pm

I have been a subscriber to the basic Advisor and the Rule Breakers for at least 5 years. Rule Breakers has done really well for me. Got into both Shopify and Align in 2016, for example. So I’m happy. Certainly those two alone have paid for my subscription a number of times over, and I have picked a lot more winners than losers when going with their recommendations. That being said, it is a bit much how often they hit you for the new newsletter to subscribe to.

For example I was asked to join “Supernova” for $1,600, I think it was. When I didn’t subscribe I got the opportunity to join for just 6 months for $900. I went with that, got a few good recommendations (ROKU, ODFL) , but overall it wasn’t beating the market, so I didn’t renew. Couldn’t get past the idea that if Supernova was going to give me the “best of the best”, wasn’t I already getting the “best” with Rule Breakers or Stock Advisor?

billolev
billolev
July 22, 2020 2:55 pm
Reply to  rbwwinters

Yep they are pitching too many ”new” newsletters, appears to have lots of crossover or duplications. . I stick with the basic ”Stock Advisor”which has served me and many others well.

infinity beyond
May 8, 2020 9:26 am

So did we work put what was the moon shot?